About civil engineering
Civil engineers are responsible for the planning, design, construction and development of building and infrastructure projects, the management and distribution of water resources, the optimisation of traffic and transport services and the creation of sustainable and energy-efficient cities and communities in a rapidly developing global environment.
Civil engineers can specialise in any of the many diverse aspects of the profession – project management, construction, transportation, urban engineering, water management, structural engineering and material technology. They tend to work into teams, with other professionals such as environmental planners, architects, town planners and community development practitioners. They work in varied settings – on construction sites, in design consultancies, government departments and state agencies.
Is civil engineering for you?
Consider becoming a civil engineer, if you –
- Thrive on solving problems
- Want to get things done and be involved throughout the process
- Have solid maths and science skills
- Care for the environment, both urban and natural
- Enjoy working with other people
- Want to make a positive difference to the world