Associate Professor Mark Zuidgeest
Centre for Transport Studies
Dr Mark Zuidgeest is Associate Professor of Transport Planning and Engineering in the Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment’s Centre for Transport Studies. His research focus is on transport systems modelling, analysis and assessment, including multi-modal transport systems, cycling-inclusive planning, accessibility and transport-related social exclusion, transport and climate change, dynamic land-use and transport modelling, infrastructure impact assessment and Spatial Decision Support Systems (SDSS) for transport. His geographical focus has always been on developing and emerging economies.
He has a PhD in Transport Studies, from The Netherlands Research School for Transport, Infrastructure and Logistics (TRAIL). In 1997 he obtained MSc Civil Engineering from the School of Civil Engineering and Management, specialisation Transport Engineering, University of Twente, The Netherlands.
Before joining UCT in 2013, he worked as a (senior level) Assistant Professor of Urban Transport in the University of Twente’s Department of Urban and Regional Planning in The Netherlands, and was also affiliated to the Centre for Transport Studies in the same university.
Over the years he has coordinated and taught postgraduate-level courses on Transport Modelling, Sustainable Transport, Climate Change and Transport, and Public Transport Systems. In addition, he taught undergraduate level courses in Traffic Engineering (traffic flow theory, traffic control design, highway capacity analysis, functional design in road engineering) and Transport Planning (public transport, non-motorised transport). Since 2012 he has been a visiting professor at Sungkyunkwan University in Seoul, Korea.
Besides research and teaching he has been involved in externally funded advisory services, research and capacity building projects in the field of transport, amongst others financed through the World Bank, Volvo Research and Educational Foundations (VREF), Asian Development Bank, Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA), Deutschen Gesellschaftfür Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs, Agriculture and Innovation, the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment, and the Netherlands organisation for international cooperation in higher education (Nuffic), a/o’s in Asia (China, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, India, Korea), Africa (Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Africa), Latin America (Brazil, Colombia), the Middle-East (Saudi Arabia, Egypt) and Europe (Poland, Netherlands, Dutch Caribbean).
Since 2013 he has served as a member of the Board of Directors of HealthBridge, Canada.
Reviewer for Scientific and Engineering Journals
- International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation
- The International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning
- The Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning
- Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies (EASTS)
- Transport Policy
- International Journal of Sustainable Transport
- International Journal of Environment and Sustainable Development
- Journal of the South African Institution of Civil Engineering (board member)
- Journal of Transport Geography
- Public Transportation
Participation in networks and professional organisations
- United Nations Partnership on Sustainable Low Carbon Transport (SLoCaT)
- The Netherlands non-motorised transport expert network (Cycling.nl)
- Dutch Royal Institute of Engineers (KIvI)
- World Conference on Transport Research (WCTR), Special Interest Group (SIG 7) Transport in Developing Countries.
- Teunissen, T., Zuidgeest, M., Sarmiento, O., Brussel, M. (2014) Equality and inclusion: The case of Bogotá’s Sustainable Transport Initiatives. In: International Journal of Sustainable Transportation [in press].
- Wismadi, A., Zuidgeest, M.H.P., Brussel, M.J.G. and van Maarseveen, M.F.A.M. (2013) Spatial preference modelling for equitable infrastructure provision: an application of Sen's Capability Approach. In: Journal of geographical systems : geographical information, analysis, theory and decision, (2013) [in press].
- Aljoufie, M., Zuidgeest, M., Brussel, M., van Vliet, J. and van Maarseveen, M. (2013) A cellular automata-based land use and transport interaction model applied to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. In: Landscape and Urban Planning, 112(2013), pp. 89-99.
- Beukes, E., Vanderschuren, M., Zuidgeest, M., Brussel, M. and van Maarseveen, M. (2013) Quantifying the contextual influences on road design. In: Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering- An International Journal, 28(2013)5, pp. 344-358.
- Keshkamat, S.S., Tsendbazar, N., Zuidgeest, M., Shiirev-Adiya, S., van der Veen, A. and van Maarseveen, M. (2013) Understanding transportation-caused rangeland damage in Mongolia. In: Journal of Environmental Management, 114(2013), pp. 57-68.
- Nkurunziza, A., Zuidgeest, M.H.P., Brussel, M.J.G. and van Maarseveen, M.F.A.M. (2012) Examining the potential for modal change: Motivators and barriers for bicycle commuting in Dar-es-Salaam. In: Transport Policy, 24 (2012), pp. 249–259.
- Nkurunziza, A., Zuidgeest, M.H.P., Brussel, M.J.G. and van den Bosch, F. (2012) Spatial variation of transit service quality preferences in Dar es Salaam. In: Journal of transport geography, 24 (2012) pp. 12-21.
- Wismadi, A., Brussel, M.J.G., Zuidgeest, M.H.P., Sutomo, H. Nugroho, L.E., van Maarseveen, M.F.A.M. (2012). The effect of neighboring village conditions and infrastructure interdependency on economic opportunity: a case study of Yogyakarta region, Indonesia. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 36 (2012) pp. 371-385.
- Beukes, E., M. Vanderschuren, M. Zuidgeest, and M. Brussel (2011). Creating Liveable Neighborhoods Through Context-Sensitive Multimodal Road Planning. In Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2244, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, 2011, pp. 27–33.
- Roy, P., Martinez, J.A., Miscione, G., Zuidgeest, M.H.P. and van Maarseveen, M.F.A.M. (2011) Using social network analysis to profile people based on their e-communication and travel balance. In: Journal of Transport Geography, 24 (2012), pp. 111-122.
- Hong Ha, P.T., Van den Bosch, F., Quang, N.N. and Zuidgeest, M.H.P. (2011) Urban form and accessibility to jobs: a comparison of Hanoi and Randstad Metropolitan areas. In: Environment and urbanization ASIA, 2(2011)2, pp. 265-285.
- Massink, R., Zuidgeest, M.H.P., Rijnsburger, J., Sarmiento, O.L. and van Maarseveen, M.F.A.M. (2011) The climate value of cycling. In: Natural resources forum: a United Nations journal, 35(2011)2, pp. 100-111. http://ezproxy.itc.nl:2048/login?url=http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1477-8947.2011.01345.x
- Beukes, E.A., Vanderschuren, M.J.W.A. and Zuidgeest, M.H.P. (2011) Context sensitive multimodal road planning: a case study in Cape Town, South Africa. In: Journal of transport geography, 19 (2011)3, pp. 452-460. http://intranet.itc.nl/papers/2011/isi/zuidgeest_con.pdf
- Keshkamat, S.S., Tsendbazar, N.E., Zuidgeest, M.H.P., van der Veen, A. and de Leeuw, J. (2011) The environmental impact of not having paved roads in arid regions: an example from Mongolia. In: Ambio: a journal of the human environment, May 2011, pp. 1-4.
- Keshkamat, S.S., Looijen, J.M. and Zuidgeest, M.H.P. (2009) The formulation and evaluation of transport route planning alternatives: a spatial decision support system for the Via Baltica project, Poland. In: Journal of transport geography, 17(2009)1, pp. 54-64.http://intranet.itc.nl/papers/2009/isi/looijen_for.pdf