Dr Kirsty Carden
Urban Water Management research unit
Dr Kirsty Carden has a BSc (Chemistry), an MSc (Applied Science in Civil Engineering) and a PhD from the University of Cape Town. She has over 25 years of experience working in academia, for government and the private sector in the field of water quality management, and is a Fellow of the Water Institute of South Africa. She has been a researcher in the Urban Water Management research unit in the Department of Civil Engineering at UCT since 2004, and was appointed as the unit’s Research Officer in 2013. Dr Carden has been involved in various projects on integrated and sustainable approaches for addressing problems of water management in the urban areas of South Africa. She is currently Project Leader on three Water Research Commission projects. Her research interests include:
- Urban water management and service provision.
- Sustainability assessment in water management.
- Integrated approaches geared towards sustainable urban development (e.g. Water Sensitive Urban Design, WSUD) and water sensitive cities / settlements.
- Carden, K., Armitage, N., Winter, K., Sichone, O., Rivett, U. & Kahonde, J., 2007. The use and disposal of greywater in the non-sewered areas of South Africa: Paper 1: Quantifying the greywater generated and assessing its quality, and Paper 2: Greywater management options. WaterSA 33(4), 425-432 and 433-441.
- Carden, K., Armitage, N., Winter, K., Sichone, O. & Rivett, U., 2007. The management of greywater in the non-sewered areas of South Africa. Urban Water Journal 5(4), 329-343.
- Carden, K., Winter, K., Spiegel, A. & Armitage, N., 2008. Approaching community-level greywater management in non-sewered settlements in South Africa. 33rd WEDC International Conference, Accra, Ghana, April 2008.
- Winter, K., Spiegel, A., Carden, K. & Armitage, N., 2008. Stakeholder participation in greywater management South African shack settlements. IRC Symposium, Sanitation for the urban poor: Partnerships and Governance, Delft, Netherlands, 19-21 November 2008.
- Carden, K., Winter, K. & Armitage, N., 2009. Sustainable urban water management in Cape Town, South Africa – is it a pipe dream? 34th WEDC International Conference, pp 113-120, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Carden, K., Armitage, N., Hotchkiss, T. & Makgalemele, M., 2009. The comparative challenges of urban water sustainability in three municipalities in the Western Cape province, South Africa. IMESA 2009 Conference: Serve our cities – Rescue our resources, 11 pp, Cape Town, South Africa.
- De Carvalho, S., Carden, K. & Armitage, N., 2009. Application of a sustainability index for integrated urban water management in southern African cities: Case study comparison – Maputo and Hermanus. Water SA 35(2), Special WISA 2008 edition, pp 144-151.
- Carden, K. & Armitage, N., 2011. Highlighting urban water management challenges through the use of a composite sustainability index. 3rd Municipal Water Quality Conference, 12 pp, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Rodda, N., K Carden, N Armitage & HM du Plessis (2011). Development of guidance for sustainable irrigation use of greywater in gardens and small-scale agriculture in South Africa. WaterSA 37(5), WRC 40-Year Celebration Special Edition, pp. 727-738.
- Fisher-Jeffes, L., Carden, K., Armitage, N., Spiegel, A., Winter, K. & Ashley, R., 2012. Challenges facing implementation of Water Sensitive Urban Design in South Africa. 7th International Conference on Water Sensitive Urban Design, 10pp, Melbourne, Australia.
- Carden, K. & Armitage, N. (2013). Assessing urban water sustainability in South African cities – not just performance measurement. WaterSA 39(3), WISA 2012 Special Edition, pp 345-350.
- Carden, K., L. Fisher-Jeffes, D. Coulson & N.P. Armitage (2013). Water-sensitive urban settlements: Integrating design, planning and management. IMIESA 38(3).
- Fisher-Jeffes, L., Carden, K. & Armitage, N.P. (2014). The future of urban water management in SA – achieving water sensitivity. Water Science & Technology: Water Supply, Vol. 14.6, 1026-1034.
- Fisher-Jeffes, L., Carden, K. & Armitage, N. (2013). Transitioning to water sensitive cities in South Africa – a developing country. 2nd Water Research Conference, January 2013, Singapore.
- Fisher-Jeffes, L., Carden, K. & Armitage, N.P. (2013). The future of urban water management in South Africa – achieving the goal of Water Sensitive Cities. Southern African Region YWP Conference, 16-18 July 2013, Stellenbosch, RSA.
- Fisher-Jeffes, L., Carden, K. & Armitage, N.P. (2014). Rainwater as an urban water resource. WISA 2014 Biennial Conference and Exhibition: Water Innovations, 20 pp, Nelspruit, South Africa, 25 – 29 May 2014.
- Carden, K. & Armitage, N.P. (2014). The use of sustainability assessment as a tool in the management of urban water systems in South Africa. 13th International Conference on Urban Drainage (13ICUD), 8 pp, Sarawak, Borneo, 7-12 September 2014.
- Fisher-Jeffes, L., Carden, K. & Armitage, N.P. (2014). Generating key WSUD modelling input data from municipal billing records. 13th International Conference on Urban Drainage (13ICUD), 8 pp, Sarawak, Borneo, 7-12 September 2014.
See more at: http://www.wsud.co.za.