Dr Herrie Schalekamp
Herrie Schalekamp is the ACET Research Officer at the University of Cape Town’s Centre for Transport Studies. Since 2008 he has been involved at the Centre in research, teaching and management. In 2015 he obtained his PhD degree at UCT, and he also holds the degrees of MPhil (Transport Studies), BArch and BAS. In addition to his research, teaching and consulting in the fields of paratransit and public transport reform he is involved in specialised educational programmes for paratransit operators and government officials. Herrie’s activities form part of a broader endeavour to investigate and contribute to improved public transport operations and regulation in Sub-Saharan African cities under ACET – the African Centre of Excellence for Studies in Public and Non-motorised Transport.
- Paratransit operations
- Public transport reform
- Transport policy and politics in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Institutional capacity building
- Public transport policy and regulation (END5070Z)
- Centre for Transport Studies programme in transport management (EBE CPD)
- Planning and governmental systems (APG4024S)
- Schalekamp, H and McLachlan, N, 2016, Minibus-taxi operator reforms, engagement and attitudes in Cape Town, in Behrens R, McCormick D and Mfinanga D (eds.), Paratransit in African cities: Operations, regulation and reform, Earthscan Routledge, Oxford.
- Schalekamp, H, Golub, A, and Behrens, R, 2016, Approaches to paratransit reform, in Behrens R, McCormick D and Mfinanga D (eds.), Paratransit in African cities: Operations, regulation and reform, Earthscan Routledge, Oxford.
- Schalekamp, H, 2013, Attitudes to public transport reform in South Africa: Results of in-depth interviews with paratransit operators, Selected proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Transport Research, 15-18 July 2013, Rio de Janeiro.
- Schalekamp, H, and Behrens, R, 2013, Engaging the paratransit sector in Cape Town on public transport reform: Progress, process and risks, in Research in Transportation Economics, 39 (2013) pp.185-190.
- Golub, A, Wilkinson, P, Behrens, R, Salazar Ferro, P, and Schalekamp, H, Transformation of urban public transport systems in the Global South, Chapter in Geyer, H, (ed.), 2011, International Handbook of Urban Policy, Volume 3: Issues in the Developing World, Edward Elgar Publishing, Northampton (Massachusetts).
- Behrens, R and Schalekamp, H, 2010, Public transport mode satisfaction in Cape Town: Findings of a passenger intercept survey, Proceedings of the 29th Southern African Transport Conference, 16-19 August 2010, Pretoria.
- Schalekamp, H, Public Transport: Tackling Cape Town’s Achilles heel, in Pieterse, E, (ed.), 2010, Counter Currents, Jacana and African Centre for Cities, Cape Town.
- Schalekamp, H, and Behrens, R, 2010, Engaging paratransit on public transport reform initiatives in South Africa: A critique of policy and an investigation of appropriate engagement approaches, in Research in Transportation Economics, 29 (2010) pp. 371-378.
- Schalekamp, H, Behrens, R, and Wilkinson, P, 2010, Regulating minibus-taxis in Cape Town: A critical review of progress and a possible way forward, Proceedings of the 29th Southern African Transport Conference, 16-19 August 2010, Pretoria.
- Schalekamp, H and Behrens, R, 2009, An international review of paratransit regulation and integration experiences: Lessons for public transport system rationalisation and improvement in South African cities, Proceedings of the 28th Southern African Transport Conference, 6-9 July 2009, Pretoria.